John Abowd is the Edmund Ezra Day Professor Emeritus in Economics, where he also serves as the Director of Graduate Studies, and Statistics and Data Science. Professor Abowd is a member in the graduate fields of Economics, Information Science, Industrial and Labor Relations and Statistics. He is a professor in the department of Information Science as well. He is the Director of the Labor Dynamics Institute at Cornell, an institution whose purpose is to to create and make accessible novel data on the dynamics of the labor markets.
This is a selection of Professor Abowd's work. For a complete list please see his personal page.
- The Microeconometrics of Human Resource Management, special issue of Annales d'économie et de statistique 41/42 (Paris: ADRES, January/June 1996) co-editor with Francis Kramarz.
- Immigration, Trade and the Labor Market (Chicago: University of Chicago Press for the national Bureau of Economic Research, 1991) co-editor with Richard B. Freeman.
- "Estimating Measurement Error in Annual Job Earnings: A Comparison of Survey and Administrative Data,” Review of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming, doi:10.1162/REST_a_00352,http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/REST_a_00352. (with Martha Stinson)
- “Persistent Inter-Industry Wage Differences: Rent Sharing and Opportunity Costs,” IZA Journal of Labor Economics, 2012, 1:7, doi:10.1186/2193-8997-1-7, http://www.izajole.com/content/pdf/2193-8997-1-7.pdf. (with Francis Kramarz, Paul Lengermann, Kevin L. McKinney, and Sébastien Roux) [Online Appendix]
- “A Proposed Solution to the Archiving and Curation of Confidential Scientific Inputs,” in J. Domingo-Ferrer and I. Tinnirello, eds. Privacy in Statistical Databases 2012, LNCS 7556, pp. 216–225, 2012. (with Lars Vilhuber and William Block)
- “Did the Housing Price Bubble Clobber Local Labor Markets When It Burst?,” American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, Vol. 102, No. 3 (May 2012): 589-93, doi:pdfplus/10.1257/aer.102.3.589. (with Lars Vilhuber) [Online Appendix] [Data README] [Data]
- “Dynamically Consistent Noise Infusion and Partially Synthetic Data As Confidentiality Protection Measures for Related Time-series,” Federal Committee on Statistical Methodology, Office of Management and Budget, 2012 Research Conference Papers (cited September 5, 2012). (with Kaj Gittings, Kevin L. McKinney, Bryce E. Stephens, Lars Vilhuber and Simon Woodcock)
- “An Application of Differentially Private Linear Mixed Modeling,” Privacy Aspects of Data Mining (PADM), a workshop of ICDM 2011, pp. 614-619, IEEE 11th International Conference on Data Mining Workshops, 2011, (cited September 5, 2012). (with Matthew Schneider)
- “Towards Unrestricted Public Use Business Microdata: The Synthetic Longitudinal Business Database,” International Statistical Review, Vol. 79, No. 2 (2011):362-84, doi:10.1111/j.1751-5823.2011.00153.x.. (with Satkartar K. Kinney (lead author), Jerome P. Reiter, Arnold P. Reznek, Javier Miranda, Ron S. Jarmin)
- “National Estimates of Gross Employment and Job Flows from the Quarterly Workforce Indicators with Demographic and Industry Detail,” Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 161, (March 2011): 82-99, doi:10.1016/j.jeconom.2010.09.008. (with Lars Vilhuber) [data on the Virtual RDC]