I am a foreign student. How do I get summer support without using up my practical training?

Students on J1 and F1 visas are allowed to work for 12 months during or following their graduate programs, on what is called "practical training"; off-campus summer internships are allowed, but count towards this quota. On-campus jobs, and off-campus internships that count towards course requirements, do not count towards practical training. Check with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) to determine which departments offer courses that allow you to do a paid summer internship.