Students that will be making a presentation at a conference can apply for support.
The Department of Statistics and Data Science (SDS) has established a fund for professional travel for graduate students. The intent of the Department is to encourage travel that enhances the Statistics community at Cornell.
Important factors to consider prior to requesting your travel award
- The fund is intended to supplement or complete travel funding from other sources. All other available funding sources intended for travel must be exhausted, and documented, prior to applying for this award. See the Travel Funding Opportunities on the grant website.
- Funding decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis by the Governing Committee (SDS Chair, Field of Statistics Director of Graduate Studies, and Director of the MPS Program in Applied Statistics).
- All policies and decisions are contingent on the availability of funds.
- If you are arriving earlier or staying longer than the conference dates, please pull and save a flight comparison when booking tickets.
- Students can claim up to $1800 for travel per academic year from SDS (as long as students are presenting and have applied for funds first from the Graduate School). Graduate students in the Field of Statistics are eligible to apply for this award.
- If you would like the Graduate Field Coordinator, Allen Ward, to cover some of your expenses, like hotel costs and registration fees on the department business travel card, please email email@example.com. The amount covered on the department business travel card will still be claimed towards your $1800 for travel per academic year. You're still welcome to use your card and submit it as a reimbursement.
Trips with the following business purpose will be considered for reimbursement
- Professional meeting or conference (e.g., JSM); the participant must be making a professional presentation (typically a research paper).
- Professional visit to a colleague at another institution.
- Specific training purpose (e.g., SAS training, short courses), when such training is unavailable at Cornell.
Applications must be received at least three weeks prior to the proposed travel. Submit your application request to:
- Jim Booth (jb383), Field of Statistics Director of Graduate Studies, 1172 Comstock Hall, and
- Allen Ward (aw269), Student Services Assistant, 301L Malott Hall
Travel reimbursement documentation must be submitted within 30 days of returning from travel:
- Familiarize yourself with the policy prior to your trip Cornell travel policy
- Within 30 days of your return from travel, complete the Travel Reimbursement form and attach travel receipts for reimbursement.
- Provide all documents to Allen Ward (aw269), 301 Malott Hall, or by email for processing.
Note the following must be applied to your travel reimbursement request
- State all funding sources acquired (external funding, grants from The Graduate School or other Cornell departments/agencies, etc.).
- State balance requested for travel reimbursement from SDS.
- Provide receipts for all expenses, hotel, food, etc.
- If using Per Diem Rates refer to Cornell's Division of Financial Services Travel information.
Updated by Allen Ward, September 15, 2023